If you are waiting….especially during the adoption process, here are some tips, from adoptive moms and myself!
1. Don’t count the days! So many adoptive moms count the days from one step to the next. Please don’t count! It will only drive you crazy as you wait. It will also cause discouragement if you see another adoptive mom getting things done faster than you.
2. Stay busy. Find ways to keep busy. I’m not sure if most moms have this problem, but if you are having a problem staying busy and find yourself thinking and dwelling on the adoption – get a new hobby! Maybe take up sewing, cross stitch, scrapbooking, or even a new exercise program. You can also stay busy by shopping and decorating the sweet one’s little room. It has been hard because I feel guilty for buying new clothes for Liana because I know she will wear a lot of Emmalia’s hand-me-downs. But I do it anyway! I also have been planning their room and how the furniture will be arranged. Now that we are only a few months away from travel, I want to pick up a few things and also move things around in the girl’s room to make room for the crib. I also love to cross stitch! So that has kept my mind and hands occupied as well. Staying busy is so important in waiting.
3. Exercise! You need stamina and strength. And I love that one sweet momma added: “Get a baby carrier and carry around a bag of rice or weights to get the feel for it.” What a sight! I think that might be a good tip if this child is your first. Those kiddos can get heavy super fast!
4. Focus on Your Kids. One of my favorite tips was this: “If you are leaving kids back at home while your in China start thinking of voice recordings or video of you reading stories and or getting together little gifts and letters for them to open every once in awhile or everyday so they have something to look forward to while your away.” What a great idea! I love that. I think I will have sweet little notes or a recordable book for them to look at while we are gone. I am getting a little anxious with the thought of leaving them for two weeks! Oh My. I also loved that someone mentioned spending time with our kids before we leave. Jason and I want to do some fun things with the boys and Emmalia before we travel. We thought about taking them to the movies or out to eat. Even to a different mall so that they could play in a different play area.
5. Another great tip is to read and get education. No matter what stage you are in the waiting game, get your education credit! Check out my resource page for ideas or feel free to comment below with some great resrouces you have found helpful in this adoption journey! One book that was suggested is “The Connected Child”* by Karyn Purvis. I plan to download that book on my Kindle today!
6. Work on the LifeBook – Getting a head start on your child’s life book is a great idea. Since the book will be all about their life in China before meeting you there are things you can work on now. If you use Shutterfly or Blurb or another digital format you can go ahead and start laying out your pages. You can look up what the weather was on the day they were born, research the city their SWI/CWI is in, do a page on their Chinese zodiac sign etc. Another idea along with that is to do life books for your current children. They will love looking at their baby pictures and documenting their life as well.
7. Have a Long-Running Fundraiser. One of the suggestions was to do a yard sale. She would pick up items a couple of times a week. The stuff slowly trickled in and so it felt like she was doing something. Another great fundraiser that is popular that could also be drawn out is the puzzle piece fundraiser. Buy a 500-1000 piece puzzle. Have people donate a certain amount of money per puzzle piece ($5-10) and then as they “bought” the pieces – you write their names on the back of the puzzle. Once the puzzle is completed, you have a complete puzzle and on the back the names of all of the people who helped support your adoption.
If you would like to give to our fundraiser, head on over to the YouCaring Site!
What great tips do you have for waiting moms?? Comment below!
Follow Me on